Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day


For the last 2 years, Father's Day has been a very bittersweet day for me. Mark's first two Father's Days as a dad were also my first two without my dad. I don't like to dwell on it and I don't like to sit around being sad about the fact that he's no longer here with us. He was such a funny man with a great sense of humor, a practical joker, and I know that's the last thing he'd want. But that doesn't negate the fact that sometimes I think it's healthy to reflect on the loss and what it's meant to me. And some days slap me in the face as a reminder that he was taken from me in the blink of an eye. Father's Day is just one of those days.

I remember Father's Day 2006 like it was yesterday. We all traveled down to Mom and Baba's for a Father's Day cookout - something we usually did because it's something Baba really enjoyed. Even Rhonda came home for the weekend from Chicago to surprise him. It was lots of fun. And then 2 weeks later he was gone. Just like that. Mom told me yesterday that she isn't sure how to handle Father's Day anymore, as she feels like she'd like to acknowledge it but isn't sure how. I feel the same way. We are in the process, as a family, of thinking about how we can best do that. In the meantime, I am now so acutely aware of how precious time is with those I love and I try to cherish every moment I have with them. Thank you for teaching me that final lesson, Baba. I miss you...lots.

******************

Father's Day 2008 was a blast! Per Mark's request, we headed out to Western Maryland to ride the steam engine from Cumberland to Frostburg and back. It's something Mark said he'd wanted to do for a while and felt it would be a perfect thing to do for Father's Day, considering Anthony's current obsession with any form of transportation, particularly "cho-cho's." (And yes just to clarify, Anthony does indeed pronounce it "cho-cho," not "choo-choo." Who knows?) The weather couldn't have been more pleasant and the company more enjoyable. Anthony was on his best behavior all day, despite the lack of a nap, and I could tell that Mark had a great time. There were times throughout the day that I'd look at my two boys and try to decide which one was more excited and was having more fun. Mission accomplished.

Happy Father's Day, Marcus - like I've said before, you are an ace and Anthony and I are both so lucky to have you. Thank you for being such a good dad and for giving me the most precious gift ever.

The train we rode - it was so cool - looked just like Thomas, but black!

Daddy & Anthony waiting for the train to pull into the station. Anthony was a bit apprehensive at the size of the train and by how loud it was. On several occasions, he asked, "All done cho-cho?"


Once we were on the train though, he loved it! He thoroughly enjoyed sitting in Daddy's lap, pointing out all the "ross" and "tis" (rocks and trees...) to both of us. "OH! Ross! OH! Tis!"


"This chocolate ice cream cone is soooooooo good, Daddy! Thank you for buying me my very first one!"

Awwww, that's my boy! He is always so willing to share and must know how much Mommy loves her ice cream!

3 comments:

Ann said...

First off...Anthony is sooo stinkin cute....love those eyes and sweet little face! Thank you for the reminder of seizing the day with those you love...

Megz said...

What a sweet post, Dina...bittersweet, to be more specific.
I adore the pics of you guys...and love watching how much the "boy" stuff I've been enjoying for so long is happening to you and Mark. Transportation obsession notwithstanding!
Will Anthony share some of that ice cream with me???:)

Mom said...

When I read your beautiful blog today, I cried...out of sadness and missing the times shared with Baba, and out of sheer joy for you, Mark, and Anthony. I don't know how, Dina, 'cause I know I sure didn't do it all right, but you are such a wonderful mom... I love you and the family you are helping to create so much and know that many moms would give a million to be in my position and have you all live so close by. XO!