Thursday, October 23, 2008

Election Day? Bring it, baby!

The 2008 Presidential Election has me excited beyond words for so many reasons. One of the reasons is because this time, Virginia is actually considered a swing state. Although I've voted (for the Democratic ticket) in every presidential election since I turned 18, I could pretty much count on Virginia going "red" long before Election Day; and therefore felt like my vote didn't really count. The potential, and very real possibility, for that to be turned around this time has me giddy. Yes, my friends (thanks for wearing that phrase out, McCain), I'm so flippin' giddy!

From today's postings on http://www.electoral-vote.com/:

"Obama has 260 EVs from states where his lead is 10% or more. McCain has 134 EVs from states where he is strong. It is hard to imagine dropping 10 points in any state where he now leads by 10 or more. This means he has to pick up only 10 more EVs somewhere, and Virginia and Colorado look like good candidates."

and

"Two polls in Virginia are far apart. Mason-Dixon, which is based in nearby D.C., puts Obama 2 points ahead, whereas Opinion Research says he is 10 points ahead. Virginia is especially important because its polls close at 7 P.M., the earliest closing in the nation, and if the networks call Virginia for Obama at, say, 8 P.M., the election is de facto over, even though polls are still open in many states."

Now, I know it's important not to get too excited and assume it's already over at this point, but I think I may dust off those party hats and throw a bottle of champagne in the fridge just in case...

No comments: